Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Obladi, Oblada life goes on, BRA!

Oh hai.

I just got owned at my track meet and read some of the most racist, stereotyping bullshit facebook comments on the face of the earth and I am feeling like words cannot describe how enraged I am. So, I am letting off some steam with some music, and it is helping. For the most part, anyway. I received an email that made me incredibly happy today; my playlist was chosen for the day to be played at noon, which is something The Current does everyday. I chose: Wicked Blood by Sea Wolf, Good Morning (The Future) by Rogue Wave and Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons. And for my reason, I said, "Three great songs by three great artists who deserve to be billionaires." Apparently, that was a direct quote on the air. Well, I was just being truthful.

There are some other songs I feel should be on this playlist, too. For the Current it was only three songs, but I shall add in some of my other favorites and highly suggest you listen to them. If you want, that is.


All Fires
by Swan Lake.

I am thoroughly convinced that in order to become an indie musician you need to think of the most ridiculous thing you can or else you will look foolish with something plain. Although, Swan Lake is not that weird, it is a pretty good example. I will never be able to pronounce Yeasayer correctly, though. I'm just saying.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, this song will be played at my wedding and funeral. It is so incredibly beautiful and haunting. It sounds completely ridiculous, but when I listen to it, I feel like I have just cried. But not just any cry; it is the cry where your soul just aches and crying is the only cure for the pain. If you do not know what I am talking about then you are either not human or you are Derrick. And if you are reading this, then you are not Derrick.



When I'm Small
by Phantogram

I was actually going to go see this groovy duo last night as they opened for The Antlers, but that fell through. This song is funky and delightful. And all I really gonna say about this song is back beat, they has it. They has it, indeed.


Autumn Beds by Modest Mouse

Holy love. Modest Mouse has always been close to my heart, and I am sure I have spazzed about this song before, but I cannot help it; I love it so dearly. The banjo makes this song, for me, anyway. It smooths over well with Issac Brock's vocals which are calm and mellow (for most of the song). This was a weird album, in general, for Modest Mouse. Some of their songs were actually, what?!? Happy! Shocking.

Wake up by Arcade Fire

I doubt I have stressed how great Arcade Fire is, and I do not know how to adequately describe in English words my love for this band; especially this song. I do not remember where I heard this song for the first time, probably on the Current, but it blew my mind. It is kind of like Id Enganger by Of Montreal, it just feels good to yell. Soul yelling.



Me and My Arrow by Harry Nilsson

I more or less put this song on here because it's hilarious. Straight up. I can only guess that the band Me and My Arrow are paying homage to the late Nilsson. Make sure the version you listen to has the beginning vocals explaining who Arrow is.


Also, any Sea Wolf song. Basically. Haha.


Well, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy ze music. :)


Currently listening to: Middle Distance Runner by Sea Wolf

No comments: