Saturday, March 20, 2010

Welcome to the world of the Plastic Beach


How else can I start this entry other than by saying that Gorillaz make me really
quite happy. Their latest album, Plastic Beach, is a positive step for them. I was worried that they would not be able to outdo their Demon Days glory, but this album shows that they can keep creating and releasing great music and do not need to hide behind their 2004 Feel Good Inc. and Dare hits. They are always creating and developing new and better songs. If you do not believe me, then take a minute to watch the Stylo music video released with the deluxe version of Plastic Beach, which features Bruce Willis shooting at Murdoc, 2D and an electronic Noodles, in a high speed car chase. It's madness, but creative madness. Great song, great video.

What was new and different, to me, about Plastic Beach, was that almost every song included one or two artists that were featured in the song. Only four songs were without a featured artist. I cannot decide how I personally feel about this, but I love all the songs. It just seems weird. Although, having Snoop Dogg introduce the album saying, "Welcome to the world of the Plastic Beach," is an effect I do not think Damon Albarn could achieve with his voice. Snoop's voice will always mesmerize me.

I have nothing negative to say about this album. The songs are extremely catchy. I had On Melancholy Hill stuck in my head a good 3 days after listening to it.

Key tracks: Plastic Beach ft. Mick Jones & Paul Simon, Stylo Ft. Bobby Womack & Most Def, On Melancholy Hill, Rhinestone Eyes, and a personal favorite, Some Kind of Nature Ft. Lou Reed (Yes, Lou Reed!).

Enjoy! It's been 6 years of waiting. Don't pass this up.

No comments: