Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Dear Friend


As I sat and counted 5s, a man approached me. Usually there are a few people who are not thwarted by the closed gate, and often ask for trivial things. This man, I recognized. He wore a dark trucker baseball hat, a white shirt, and a leather jacket. His glasses are what stuck out to me the most–they were aviators that framed his somewhat square face perfectly. His white beard and mustache masked a curious look.
"Aren't you the girl who wears the yellow flower?" he said.
"Yes, I am."I said. Still trying to place him.
"What are you doing over here? Don't you work at the other hospital? We miss you over there."
I smiled a bit as I remembered him and our various chats about life and fishing and weather.
"Oh, yeah..." I start to say. "I'm over here now."
"Oh, okay. Well, it was good to see you!"
And just as quickly as he appeared he was gone.
I felt a tiny jerk inside of my stomach that I thought would develop into tears. But instead a smile grew on my face. Life can hurt and be unexpected, but life can be lovely as well.

No comments: