Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Soul Mates

I have always had somewhat of an assumption that everyone has a soul mate. Someone that binds together with you and knows you better than you seemingly know yourself. This common believe is usually only heard of in romantic novels or movies; especially Disney films. This person completes and compliments you. I mean, after all, they are your "other half." Being only 20, my patience for meeting this perfect someone leaves me increasingly pessimistic. Today, however, it dawned on me. I have already met this person(s). And they stream out of my headphones. I do believe that music is my soul mate.

I suppose it is the way I feel when I listen to music; the way it pulsates through my limbs and gives me goosebumps, leaves me feeling happy and whole. Like a good soul mate should. One example of this happened just tonight while I listened to my all time favorite artist, whom I know more about than I do, perhaps, myself: The Beatles. I know the lyrics, the chords, the beats per second; I know it all. Yet, the feeling seems to be mutual. They sing with such emotion and passion, it is though they are singing to me. I am there alone (I feel that is a huge reason why some people are territorial when it comes to music, but that's not the point). As I sat and listened to "Imagine" by John Lennon I felt the desire he felt to share his message with the world. It was almost as if he was sharing that message with me, personally, and it brought tears to my eyes (And believe me, I do not easily cry). I felt Lennon trying to communicate with me his message for me to better myself and to strive for not being okay with how things are but to strive for something better for not just me, but for other people. To help people.

Now, you probably think this is just me rambling, and perhaps it is, but this song exemplifies me perfectly: a dreamer. I dream of helping people in almost any way I can and Lennon's words explain; he says what I am thinking. Perhaps the trait of my perfect soul mate.

No comments: