Thursday, July 29, 2010

Modest Mouse and Rogue Wave, The Perfect July

Since it has become obvious that I am terrible at writing about my concert experiences, I will paraphrase them. Less reading. Hoorah.



Modest Mouse at Orpheum Minneapolis, MN on July 14:

- Warm up band, Radar Bros, were pretty average.
- Venue was not ideal. The sound was pretty good, though. Better than the XCEL.
- Seats were not very good
- Songs were obscure, even for me. They jumped all over the place. They only played one song off their latest album, which was my favorite, so I was not complaining, but I would have liked to have heard more off of the album The Moon & Antarctica. They did, however, play Paper Thin Walls, which is a favorite.



A video:


Worth it? Absolutely. I put Modest Mouse fans at about the same level as Coldplay fans (and Coldplay fans are pretty nuts). Basically, it is simply magical to hear an entire room filled with fans singing Float On, as that was the most recognize song besides possibly Dashboard or Dramamine. It is a required must for all Modest Mouse fans to see them live.

(photos by Dinnah Gustavo)

Rogue Wave at The Waiting Room Omaha, NE on July 18:
- Great venue
- Great crowd
- They all remembered Dinnah and me
- Missed warm up band because we went on a walk with Steve Taylor, the keyboardist.
- Hung out with the band afterward in their tour bus.


Worth it? ABSOLUTELY. Rogue Wave might be my favorite band, surpassing Coldplay (Do not worry, The Beatles are on an entirely different level). I love Coldplay dearly, so this is quite a statement. Perhaps if I met Chris, Johnny, Guy or Will in real life, this might change. The connection between a band and its fans can make their music even more magical. If I had never met Pat or Zach or any of the members of Rogue Wave, I would not know how goofy or funny they actually are and how that plays a part in their music. Now when I listen, I can hear it, and I love it.

Upcoming shows? Rogue Wave, Sea Wolf, hopefully Dr. Dog, Menonmena, Stars, and Matt and Kim. AND MANY MORE!

No comments: